Me and My Boys

Friday, June 17, 2011

When is old too old?

     I was talking to a gentleman today who recently was arrested for attempted possession of a narcotic and forgery of a prescription.  He and I had both left TASC where we had to give urinary analysis.  He was concerned that he was going to fail because he had used crystal methamphetamine two days prior.  I sat and listened to his story and his reasoning and what he was planning on telling his probation officer and I tell you I've heard it before.  As a matter of fact, some of the things he was saying, were things I use to say when I was trying to rationalize my behavior.

     Anyways, the gentleman was asking me in a roundabout way if I thought he would be able to quit using considering he had only been using for two years.  I told him I knew he could because I had been able to do it and I had been using for over twenty three years.

     The amazing thing about this story is, the gentlemen is in his sixties.  He told me he just started using a couple of years ago.  I instantly thought about something Dave Chappelle said in one of his stand ups and that was, "once you get a certain age, if you haven't done drugs, you just missed out!"  I can't imagine or understand someone wanting to try some hardcore drugs in their senior years.  It just doesn't seem right, but to each his own.

     When I'm in my sixties the only drugs I want to be taking are an occasional aspirin.  That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment