Me and My Boys

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Evil communication corrupts good character!

Messy Marv
     Man, this is a tough one.  It shouldn't be but it is.  I understand the concept above, and I agree with it, however executing it is something entirely different.

Ice Cube
     It's no secret that I have an affinity for West Coast gangster rap music.  I fell in love with the instrumentals of these songs back in the '80's.  I have never been fond of the lyrics which promote death but they are a part of the songs so I tried to rationalize the voice of the lyricist as an instrument that is part of the overall song.  Some artists have amazing voices and when they lay their lyrics on an instrumental track it is art.  Some examples of this would be Ice Cube, Too Short, E-40, Lil Ric, Celly Cel, Kurupt, Daz, Messy Marv.  The list is long on West Coast rappers with voices that "flow", unfortunately most of the lyrical content promotes death which poses a problem.

     I love Jesus Christ and  through His Grace I know right from wrong.  I know that I can't continue to listen to gangster rap and follow Jesus with ALL of my heart.  It's not possible.  I can't be in agreeance with The Holy Spirit and then turn around and listen to Messy Marv talk about selling drugs and killing people that come against him.  So, I've consciously cut down on my gangster music intake with the goal of being rid of it permanently.  I've considered starting a twelve-step program to get off of gangster music, seriously, because it's like an addiction to something that will eventually kill you.  On a side note, as I type this I'm listening to Nate Dogg "One more day".  The message in this song is basically a repentance of the things he(Nate) use to be into and if he could have "one more day" he would change his ways.  I must say that Nate has one of the most unique voices I have ever heard.  I could easily picture him singing some old negro spirituals.  His voice enhances any track it is laid upon and he was compensated specifically because of that.  Nearly every track he's added his voice to has went on to go gold or platinum.  I digress.

Nate Dogg
     See how my flesh works.  I will go to extreme means to justify the things that appeal to my flesh but the Bible specifically says in 1 Corinthians 15:33 "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners".  Man, that's hot.  You've got to be aware of what your listening to and viewing.  Don't be "lukewarm" when discerning what is right or wrong.  Make a conscious choice about what you want to promote, how you want to live.  It's your life, live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment