Me and My Boys

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recovery is a process

     Recovery is a process and like all processes it has a beginning and an end.  It is through this fact that I can claim to be "recovered" from twenty-three years of addiction.

     I was at an out-patient meeting recently and the topic was "how do you view yourself in recovery" and then there was a list of labels to describe what we thought of ourselves.  I looked at the list and didn't see anything that described how I viewed myself.  That list included, addict, addict in recovery, person in recovery, chemically challenged person, ex-user and a couple others that I can't recall.  None of those sound positive.  As I've stated in earlier posts, words are powerful and what you say about yourself is what you are.  I was amazed at how many people in the group called themselves "addict".  To me, that's saying that you are an addict and that you always will be one.  Same with "addict in recovery" and "person in recovery" though those signify a movement toward sobriety, they don't have a finality to them.  I choose to call myself "recovered".  When I said that, one gentleman said I was in denial, another said " we are always going to be addicts even if we don't use drugs anymore".  The consensus was, we'll always be in recovery and we can't ever forget that.  Man, that line of thinking is depressing and detrimental to a healthy lifestyle.

     I can claim I'm recovered because I have first, recovered my love for Jesus Christ.  Second, I have recovered my self-respect and dignity.  Third, I have recovered my passion for life that I once had before going into addiction.  All of that is significant.  It is important to realize the things you have accomplished while in recovery because it is these things that will help you be successful in recovery.

     I don't worry about relapsing because that would incorporate fear and how could I have fear if I truly believe in and trust The Lord, Jesus Christ?  Is relapse a possibility?  Of course it is, as is anything in this world is a possibility.  However, I refuse to make the possibility a reality by giving life to negative thinking by labeling myself as an "addict".  I label myself "recovered" and that's what I am.  I label myself "a good man" and that's what I am.

     Believe in yourself.  Speak good things about yourself and others.  Love one another and prosper from the fruit of your hands and your words!

No comments:

Post a Comment