Me and My Boys

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In The Addict Issue #7 vol. 2 Relapse justification

     I'm writing this issue in response to some questions I encountered recently at an "after-care" group counseling meeting I attended.  One of the questions was, "What emotions do you use to justify a relapse?"  As the question went around the room, some people answered with, "anger", or "resentment", or "boredom", or "loneliness".  I know, some of those aren't emotions, but those were some of the answers given.  What can you expect from a group of people who've spent many years burning brain cells with illegal substances?

     Anyways, when it came to my turn I responded by pointing out that we, as a group, are in "after-care", which signifies we have come quite a distance in our recovery and we are nearing the end of our time in the program.  That being said, we don't have the luxury of justifying a relapse for any reason!  If you're looking to justify a relapse at this point then you need to take a look at your program and determine if you really want to be sober or if you're just wasting time in this program!

     I'm upset and disappointed with the curriculum we've been given in this program and with the instructor.  A majority of the material we're given is negative and destructive.  If you are the type of person that can't interpret information and then have to rely on what others tell you, without research, then this counsel can possibly program you into continued drug-use by reinforcing negative ideals such as "continual recovery".  Our instructor is also a factor in this.  From the time I first entered his group he has displayed a lackadaisical attitude toward his position and has shown a lack of professionalism in performance.  This is detrimental to the group he leads as we look to him for guidance, instruction and leadership in getting through our battles with addiction.

     Fortunately for me, I utilize more programs and classes than just this one.  I get a wide variety of information and input from other sources.  I would advise others to do the same if you're looking to have a successful recovery from addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment