Me and My Boys

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Recovery is never ending!

     As I continue in my sobriety I have to remember that it is constant work.  My life is great and it's times like this that I am susceptible to relapse.  I don't have thoughts about using drugs, but I must remain vigilant in my resolve to abstain. I've found that if I share what I've been through, and what has been working for me with others, it really helps.  I am accountable to others for my actions, which is something I avoided when I was getting higher than giraffe hair.

     So, I've started my second series entitled Bridge To Recovery which deals with the importance of including others in the process of recovery.  In this series, I've asked other recovered people to share their knowledge and experience in recovery in an effort to show the benefits of reaching out to others.  I tell you that it isn't easy for me to ask anyone for anything, especially help.  One of the effects of drug use is the isolation that it puts you in.  Drug use keeps you focused on the drug and yourself which in turn keeps you away from others.  It makes you feel insignificant and unworthy of others attention and ultimately alone.  That's where I was at for a long period of time and I'm finding that it's difficult to associate with others.  It's okay.  My recovery is important to me so I've forced myself to step outside of myself and do some things I haven't done in years like strike up conversations with people I otherwise wouldn't say a word to.  Because of that, I've learned I have more in common with others than I previously thought.

     I've been fortunate enough to forge new relationships with respectable, intelligent people like my brother in Christ Reginald Malbrue.  This man has been an inspiration to me as he is one of the few genuine people I've met during my recovery process.  I've discovered the power of friendship, and how it is helpful and necessary while battling addiction.  I'm thankful.

      Follow the link and watch the new video!

                                               http//:www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPg7-HNTbX8

No comments:

Post a Comment