Me and My Boys

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day!

     Father, bless and protect the men and women, my Christian brothers and sisters, who carry you in their heart with honor as they serve in military endeavors around the world.  May they bring Your peace and grace wherever they go.

     That prayer was fully loaded with love from God for my Christian brothers and sisters that are in the military.  I'm trying to be careful here and show respect and thankfulness to those who serve in the military on this day of remembrance of American soldiers.

Medgar Evers
     I was thinking yesterday how I wanted to celebrate Memorial Day and I've decided to call back to memory people that I truly respect and honor and am thankful for their great achievements for all people.  I've got to start with the great Martin Luther King Jr.  He was killed months before I was born, by an assassin's bullet, yet the toil from his hands can still be felt today.  I can't put into words my admiration for this man and all that he stood for and believed in.  To me he is almost mythical and definitely legendary.  If I had an eighth of the fiber he was made of I would be outstanding.  Medgar Evers is next.  I read an article about him that said he was drafted and served in World War II and when he came back to the States, his home (Mississippi) was still segregated.  Instead of hearing cheers in a parade to honor the soldiers return, he heard things like "die nigger" and "go back to Africa, we don't want you here!"  This only fueled Medgars resolve for a better world, a world of equality and justice.  He too lost his life by assassination.

     These are two examples of outstanding citizens who I look to in awe for the things they stood for and the ultimate sacrifice they made so others could benefit.  These two are real American soldiers to me, and they fought the most dangerous and sinister enemy of all, AMERICA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment