Me and My Boys

Saturday, May 14, 2011

In the Addict Issue #6 Vol. 2 Principles before Personalities

     I went to a twelve-step meeting tonight and the group topic was "principles before personalities" after which people were able to discuss what this meant to them.  As I eagerly awaited my turn to expound on the subject, I heard several other people say some things of interest.  One gentleman went on to say that it meant he had to smash his ego in order to succeed in recovery.  I agree with him though I would word it differently and say that I choose to follow Christ and live in The Holy Spirit rather than follow my flesh(ego) and live life according to how I wanted to.

     I spent a lot of time living in the flesh and doing what I wanted.  I did all sorts of ungodly acts which all led to misery, though I thought I was enjoying them.  I didn't recognize any principles and I was capable of doing anything.  I certainly wasn't following any scripture and therefore I stayed immature and self-centered for an extended period of time.  My life was a wreck, unmanageable according to twelve-step standards or any decent persons standards for that fact.

     Fortunately, I came to my senses and re-committed myself to following Jesus Christ.  That act in itself has made all the difference in my life and my faith continues to grow stronger.  When you give God a chance to live in your life and you follow Him and you witness to His works, it is inevitable that you will gain strength in faith and all that comes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment