Me and My Boys

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How do you measure prosperity?

     What is your idea of prosperity?  Is it doing well financially, say making more than quarter of million annually?  Owning a home in the same range or more, a couple of cars, cell phones, laptops, Xboxes, Ipads, designer clothing, jewelry, etc.?  All of that sounds good to me.  I would say that if you have those things you could consider yourself prosperous.  However, I think the telling factor is what you do with all that you have.  I mean, if you are prosperous but you're not sharing your prosperity with others, are you really prosperous?

     I don't have any of the stuff I mentioned above.  My total income for 2010 was under five thousand dollars however I consider myself very prosperous.  First, I love The Father and The Son, Jesus Christ.  I realized I needed God in my life because my life without Him was unhappy, unfulfilling and disastrous.   At one point I was extremely selfish and self-centered as I indulged my flesh and spent large sums of money on drugs and material items.  I can easily total out my expenditures on drugs and trinkets to over $250,000.00 dollars.  That's an underestimate by at least a hundred thousand dollars.  That's shameful.  Out of all that money I don't have any material items to show for it.  None.  I've got a lot of war stories, a lot of shame, a lot of remorse.  I've also got a unique perspective on life.  I no longer run through money like $#!+ through a goose.  I appreciate what I do have which is considerable.

      I do seek to reach a higher financial plateau so I can extend God's kingdom further.  I want to bless as many people as possible.  I can be and am a blessing to people now, even though I'm not financially rich.  You don't have to have money to be a blessing to someone else.  Giving other resources like time, service to others, food, clothing and shelter when possible can also bless others.  I think some of the richest people in the world are not rich because of finances but because of a good heart.  That's how I measure prosperity!

No comments:

Post a Comment