Me and My Boys

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Truth ain't hard to tell, but sometimes it's hard to swallow!

     I led a substance abuse class tonight and the topic of discussion was truthfulness.  I was dismayed at how many people in the group condone lying and believe it's a necessary part of life.  Some of these men were adamant in their beliefs and were not happy to hear my response to them.  At one point during the discussion I summed up our goal for sobriety as this, "If you can't be honest and speak truthfully, you will never achieve sobriety, plain and simple!"  You could hear a pin drop when I said that and one gentleman actually got upset when I called him out on a statement he made that showed some weakness in his program.

     Anyways, I have the opportunity to lead this group every week if I choose to.  My initial response was to never come back but right now I'm thinking there is purpose for me to be there.  Sometimes we are called to do things that we don't like or are not comfortable doing.  It's those times that God has something good for us but it is up to us follow through with the work.  So I guess I've just decided to continue leading this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment