Me and My Boys

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Growing up slowly but surely

     So, my last week of school break is coming to an end as is the community service I've been doing while I was on vacation(some vacation).  Anyways, I've managed to stay busy during these two weeks.  I celebrated my first year of recovery, I've cracked open a couple of my upcoming books, I filmed and edited another segment to my Recovery in Jesus series, community service(40 hours),  attended a couple of CA meetings, co-led a substance abuse class(twice), attended church, debated with a Muslim about Christianity vs. Muslim and had several revelations of which I will share one here.

     As my one year anniversary of sobriety went by, I reflected on my life over the last twenty years and I came to the conclusion that I am maturing.  Ya, I know, I should've already matured as I am long in the tooth and forty-two summers past.  Hey, it takes some of us longer than others and still some never get there, so calm down.  Be happy that I'm making progress.

     Anyways, I had a revelation about sobriety and that was, as I continue to lead a drug-free life, I've started growing again in areas that I had stopped due to long term drug use.  I started drinking at the ripe old age of eleven and was using drugs by fifteen.  My intellectual growth slowed down considerably due to the chemical interaction in my brain and I basically remained a teenager, mentally, until recently.  That's what drugs do.  They stop your mind from growing.  When I decided to stop using, that was my first step toward maturing.  I made an adult decision to do something positive and productive and my intellect has been catching up at record speed with my age.

     I used drugs as a child and I remained one far longer than I should have.  It's past time for me to be the man I'm supposed to be!

1 comment:

  1. WOW MY BROTHER WHAT A TESTIMONY , MAY THE LORD KEEP YOU COVERED TO STAND IN YOUR TESTIMONY AS THOSE WILL KNOW THEY CAN ONLY BE KEEP IN HIS 5 STEP PROGRAM (ALL DO RESPECT TO THOSE PROGRAMS THAT DO HELP THOSE ) BUT ITS THE BLOOD OF JESUS THAT DESTROY THE YOKE ,WE ALL HAVE BEEN SAVED BY SOMETHING THAT WAS AGAINST OUR SOUL BUT WE ARE HERE STANDING COVERED IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS , I PRAY COVERING YOU IN HIS BLOOD REBUKING YOUR PAST FROM TRYING TO COME BACK AS IT WILL ONLY BE USED AS A TESTIMONY NOT TO TEMPT YOU BROTHER !! AMEN

    ReplyDelete