Me and My Boys

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Let me show you how God works

     Last Friday I wrote about how my wife's lack of control over her words had caused strife between her mama, a neighbor, and myself.  At that time, what it amounted to was her parents ending their financial assistance to us because my wife was angry and said some things she should've kept to herself.  The next day my wife announces that we have to have a sit down with her parents about our finances.  I immediately told her, "I don't have to talk to anyone about anything, I'm a grown man and what I do at my house is my business!"  I was angry because she caused this whole situation and now I have to be further tormented by having to discuss my household with her parents.

     I went into prayer.  I told God how angry I was and that I don't want to be this way.  I asked for His grace and peace to come upon me, which it did.  I asked that he calm my wife's spirit and reveal Himself to her so she could grow closer to Him.  I asked for peace in my home and I praised the Father for all He has done.

     Fast forward to last night.  We went to my son's hip-hop dance recital with her parents and on the way there my wife asked me if I was ready to have that conversation with her parents.  I shot her a look that should've melted the skin off her face and I thought it served it's purpose as she remained quiet during the short drive.  Right when we pulled into the parking lot my wife loudly says, "mom, Gary and I are ready to talk about our finances now"  My muscles tensed up.  I think I ripped the seat as my butt cheeks clenched together from the white hot anger that was seething through my body.  I got control and remained calm.  As she spoke to her parents, I didn't say anything.  It was pretty much a one sided conversation with my wife doing most of the talking and her mother occasionally chiming in.  After a few minutes it was over.  I stepped out of vehicle and walked around to the side of the building where no one was at and began to call my wife every name I could think of that wasn't hers.  Then I went to God and told Him everything that just happened and how heated I was and how I didn't want to feel this way.  That hot anger subsided and I went into the building and watched my son do his thing.  My wife sat next to me and could tell I was mad but she tried to talk to me like nothing was wrong.  I told her I was mad and that she doesn't consider how I feel or have respect for me and that she only thinks of herself.  When I got home I grabbed my laptop and my headphones and went into my room and listened to some S.O.S band which calms me.  During all of this I kept hearing that passage in The Bible about not letting the sun go down while angry.  The Holy Spirit would not allow me to stay sour.  I looked over at my wife and she had the saddest eyes.  I knew then that I was going to apologize for my anger at her and I did.  She apologized too and I told her not to worry about it and she fell asleep minutes later.

     I went to bed with peace and I woke up with peace.  I kissed my sleeping wife goodbye and started my day on a positive note.  God calls for us to give love freely and willingly not only because it's powerful and good, but because it gives us life.  Thank you Father for the love you give to your children.  I never want to know life without You!

No comments:

Post a Comment