Me and My Boys

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dharma is not at peace with Christianity

  Last night I attended a court ordered substance abuse class at Phoenix Shambhala Meditation center which studies Dharma as it pertains to recovery.

     I was not happy to be there because I don't believe it's right that I have to participate in another religions practice because I'm court ordered to.  I was also unhappy because we've never studied recovery through Christian methods yet here we are at a Buddhist temple studying recovery.

Frank 
     So, let me tell you how I perceived the events from last night.  First, the gentleman that was instructing the class was a personable, quiet, elderly man named Frank.  Frank specifically told the class that the study of Dharma doesn't teach against any religion as it can be a supplement to all religions.  During the class he informed us to allow all thoughts to run through our minds and not to label them good or bad just allow them to go through and out.  This is in direct opposition to The Word of Jesus Christ as Christ commands us to capture any negative thinking and expel it out of our minds and hearts as quickly as it enters.  Frank instructed that there is no right or wrong, that there is only pure reality and to reach peace and joy we cannot hinder ourselves with doctrines and dogma.  Christianity is a doctrine of how to live life according to a set of beliefs and principles that lead to a high quality and peaceful, productive life.  Again, I found Franks subtle words contrary to Christianity.  I remind you, he said Dharma does not teach against any religion yet that is exactly what it does.

     Toward the end, Frank allowed for a question and answer session after which many of my classmates were asking how to use meditation as an everyday tool.  My friend and brother Reggie asked how Dharma recognizes a "higher power" which Frank answered by saying, "What is a higher power?"  "Couldn't a tree be a higher power? Or couldn't the four season's be considered a higher power?"  Frank said, and I quote, "I have trouble understanding Christianity but Dharma can compliment any belief!"  This was one of many things he said during the course of an hour that I found inaccurate and offensive.  Even as I write this I am considering litigation against Maricopa Superior Court because I am certain there are rights protecting us from being forced to participate in religious programs.

     Anyways, I'm interested in anyone's thoughts concerning this post.  Please feel free to respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment