Me and My Boys

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Journal #17 Two Places that hold special meaning.

     The Truckee river and The Bay area are two places that are dear to me and hold special meaning.  I've spent many hours on the Truckee, fishing or just sitting on the shore lines watching the water go by.  It is very peaceful and often times I use to go there just to "get away".  I rarely caught any fish there, however the river is abundant in several species of trout.  There's a saying that goes, "the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work!"  It's true.  Sitting on the river's edge is very therapeutic and I've solved more than a few problems by watching the water flow carelessly by.

     The second place, the Bay area, holds equal value.  Every time I go to the Bay, I don't want to go back home.  I remember the first time I went to Oakland.  My father took me to my first baseball game.  I remember looking down on the field and thinking aloud, "man, this place looks bigger on t.v.  I think I could hit a home run here".  Of course that was impossible as I was only nine years old, but hey, when you're young, you think you can do anything.  Later, when I was a teenager, the Bay served as a rite of passage as my friends and I frequently traveled down there, unencumbered by adults, to run freely through the streets of Oakland, Frisco, Hayward, Vallejo, Stockton and Sac.  Those times had a big part in shaping who I was to become later because I was exposed to things I had never seen before.  The Bay is more progressive than any place I've ever lived.  Music trends, fashion styles, and language are, at a minimum, six months to a year ahead of Reno and Phoenix.  I love the Bay and I'm certain(Lord willing) that I will live there eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment