Me and My Boys

Monday, March 21, 2011

Barry Bonds! Love him or hate him, He's still the Best!

     I don't care what anyone says about the man, I'm a Barry Bonds fan.  I think I became more of a fan of his just because of all the resistance and general dislike he was getting.  He's got to be doing something right if he can get that many people to hate him.

     Anyways, he's going to court this week over his perjury case.  In a nutshell, he's accused of lying to a grand jury concerning steroid use.  In particular, he said he never "knowingly" used steroids which is being disputed by the powers that be.

     My opinion regarding his steroid use and steroid use in sports is this, I don't care.  I assumed that most modern-day athletes are on some kind of performance enhancing drug anyways, and the further this investigation goes, the more athletes caught.

     Personally, I believe Barry used steroids, but steroids can't help you hit a baseball, you still have to have hand/eye coordination.  You've still got to put the bat on the ball, which doesn't get easier just because you're bigger.  I've heard people talking about keeping him out of the Hall of Fame, putting an asterisk next to his name and much more.  If your dispute with Barry is, he wouldn't have hit as many home runs had he not have been on steroids, then I have a solution for you.  First, find the average distance Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron hit their home runs.  Then, take away any home runs Barry hit farther than their average.  Next, add a home run for every at bat Barry had where he struck out against a pitcher that has been caught or suspected of using steroids.  This should give an accurate number of home runs.

     Obviously I'm a Giants fan, have been since as long as I can remember.  My middle name is Orlando, named after famous Giants first baseman Orlando Cepeda.  I've followed the Giants for years and to me, Barry is the greatest and most memorable Giant ever.  I love all the things most people hate about him.  He's not fan friendly, nor does he grant many interviews.  The media villainized(my own word) him to the point that when he exited the League, barely anyone noticed.  I remember how happy I was when it was discovered that Roger Clemens had tested positive for steroids.  I was like, yes, now get off of Barry Bonds back about steroids because the Golden boy of baseball just tested positive.

     Now I don't know how Barry's current court troubles will play out.  I believe he saved his butt by his statement, but we will see.  I support you one hundred percent Barry and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment