Me and My Boys

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Discipline

Today I start dieting.  I've never dieted and the diet I'm putting myself on, I created so I don't have a clue as to how this is going to work or if I'm even going to lose any weight.  The first thing I need to do is weigh myself and since I don't have a scale I have to go to Safeway or someplace that has a pay scale and get my weight.  Man, this is a hassle already.  It's around 7:30 a.m. and I'm ready to eat something but I can't yet, fun! fun! fun!  My breakfast usually consists of whatever left overs I had from the previous night like fried chicken, spaghetti, pizza etc. and maybe a beer.  I know, I know, I know.  A beer this early but hey, I'm grown.  Not only that, I'm from Reno where alcohol is free and available twenty four hours a day.  Sometimes we don't even leave the club until 6 in the morning and go to "after-party" breakfast and have bloody mary's so don't go judging me.  It's a Reno thing.  I digress.

Yesterday I went and bought myself two hundred dollars worth of fish, rice and salad which is all I'm eating for the next month.  My wife is supporting me but I know she thinks I'm crazy and she's not joining me on this endeavor, not that she needs to.  She weighs 105 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her pockets.  Now that I think about it, she's the reason why I'm over 230 pounds.  It's because she doesn't eat her share of food around the house and I'm "forced" to pick up the slack and eat what she doesn't.  I mean maybe just maybe she could eat more than a spoonful of pasta and half a chicken wing for dinner so I wouldn't have to eat the rest of the whole chicken, pasta and salad I prepared.  Give me a break. 

My real issues are, I love food and I'm a decent cook.  My favorite dishes are Cioppino which is a fishermens stew in a marinara type sauce and House Low Mein which consists of noodles, shrimp, chicken, beef, pork and vegetables.  Both of those are high in calories and cholesterol but come straight from Heaven.  I can make all of my restaurant favorites very well and I never have any money issues when it comes to dining as my food allotment is around $700 dollars per month and allows me to create and cook menus as I crave them.  This is where I get into trouble.  I love a lot of food.  I love ribs, wings, burgers, pastas, meat pies, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, soul food, mustard greens and neck bones, cat fish and collard greens, pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, you name it.  If it smells good and looks good, I'm good.  You know what I'm sayin'?  I can't say no to edible delights.  Food is my kryptonite.  You could bribe me with a whole chicken and some beer and I will paint your home and wash your vehicles.  I'm a food nut.

Anyways, all of that is going on hold today.  Today I'm only eating fish, salad and rice.  We'll see what happens in the next month.  My goal is to get to 200 lbs. by my birthday in April.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment