Me and My Boys

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Prosperous and thankful!

     Living with the understanding that everything I have is directly because of God, is empowering, comforting and relieving.  It allows me not to worry about anything.  How awesome is that.  It's one thing to say you don't worry about things.  It's another to actually live it.

     Now I'll tell you I haven't always lived like this, but most of my life I have.  Part of the reason for this is because I value everything I have.  Everything.  Some people who know me and know my possessions may believe that I don't have a lot and that I'm poor.  According to class status in the United States, I'm poor.  Last year my income was under $5,000.  My rent for a two bedroom apartment was a little over $4,800(yearly) not including utilities which exceeded $1000(yearly).  My grocery budget is $300 per month and clothing budget is guestimated at around $1000(yearly,it's probably a lot less).  Miscellaneous expenses like entertainment and non-necessities like eating out totaled around $500 so the grand total for 2010 was around $13,100 in expenses.  That's more than $6,000 over what I actually had to spend.  God is good, all the time, and all the time, God is Good!

     Those numbers are deceiving.  If you looked at those numbers on paper it would appear as if I live a meek and meager existence.  Depending on perspective, it could be a meager existence.  From my perspective it isn't.  From my perspective I've got everything I need and extra.  First, my family is taken care of.  We have a place to live.  Our apartment is small but my boys have their own room with oak bunk beds, a t.v., PlayStation 2, games, toys etc.  They have all kinds of clothes and shoes, some of which they haven't worn yet.  I have a California king size bed, lots of clothes, some new and unworn, more shoes than I need, three pairs of "new" shoes and my wife has the same.  I'm unemployed as is my wife.  However, I'm a full time student acquiring a Bachelor  of Art in Film and Video.  I have a MacBook Pro laptop, some video equipment and accessories and WiFi service in my apartment.  Our food allowance is $668 but we only spend $300 of that and give away the balance to others and church organizations.  We currently don't have a vehicle but during the ten years my wife and I have been together we've had three vehicles.  I'm certain we will be mobile again soon.  Interesting note, my pastor once commented that "if you pay rent or have a car payment, you are considered wealthier than almost two thirds of the world".

Me and Grant Hill(Phoenix Suns)
     So, when I look at all of those things, I know I am prosperous.  I didn't even factor in that I'm healthy and my family is healthy.  My parents are still living and healthy, as are my wife's parents, so my children get wonderful benefits of having their grandparents in their lives.  All of this is because of God.  I created none of this in my own power.  Everything I need, I have, plus some.  I am thankful and appreciative of what I have.  Thank you Father.

    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment