Me and My Boys

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bitter or Better?

     One of my many counselors firmly believes people are not capable of being happy all the time.  I think it's safe to say, a lot of people share her sentiments.  I'm not one of those people.  I use to be, but not anymore.  A pastor, I can't recall, pointed out that we choose to be what we are.  In essence, we can choose to be happy, sad, miserable, ecstatic, etc.  This knowledge ultimately empowers us because it breaks down barriers and beliefs that other people, things and situations can manipulate and or control how we feel.

     I don't know how many times I've held other people accountable for how I felt.  Until recently, I actually allowed my wife, my parents and even associates, influence how I felt, how I acted and reacted.  That's crazy if you stop to think about it.  Why would any person give that kind of power to another person?  It doesn't make sense to me, to allow another person to dictate how you're going to feel.  I do understand, though, that it is easy to do.  I did it for many years.

     Andrew Wommack said in a recent sermon that we can trace our sinful nature to being self-centered.  A lot of my thinking use to be based on myself so when things wouldn't go the way that I wanted them to, I would have a negative reaction.  I'll tell you right now, if you depend on others to do the things you want them to do, and act the way you want them to act, you will be in for a long, painful and miserable existence.

     So, I have come to the conclusion that my happiness depends on me.  Calm down.  I can hear the collective "sighs" and "duhs" out there.  If you're so brilliant then why are your emotions like an out-of-control roller coaster?  Just because I came to this conclusion, doesn't mean that it's easy for me to incorporate it into my life.  I've been living contrary to this doctrine for many years, so it takes effort to use consistently.

     Today, I am happy.  Yesterday I was happy, and for many months now(8) I've been happy, consistently.  I still have issues, like everyone else, it's just that I see things and deal with things from a different perspective.  I don't consider myself as the centerpiece of this world(anymore).  Looking back, I can't believe how selfish I was.  It sickening thinking about it.  I choose to be better!  Not bitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment