Me and My Boys

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Generational differences

     Where is the world headed?  I don't know, but it doesn't look very good.  I know I'm getting older when I start commenting on the differences between generations.  I'm an old fogie!  Damn!

     Anyways, I'm writing this because of a couple things I witnessed yesterday.  First was a video by Justin Timberlake singing about trading mothers with his best friend, on mothers day, and having sex with them.  The song uses explicit language to describe the sex acts and overall it's......stupid!  I commented, on a friends Facebook page, what I thought about it and his stance, along with anothers, was defensive.  That's part of what inspired me to write this.

     I'm forty-two years old and I have definitely changed from twenty years ago.  I seldom use foul language because it specifically says not to swear in The Bible, but also because I think foul language is an indicator that you command a small vocabulary.  It's unfortunate, but all I hear, everyday, from people years younger than me is "eff" this and "eff'" that and "what the eff" and "I'm effn' serious, man".  It's sad.  A couple of weeks ago I did an experiment with the F word where I inserted it in every sentence I spoke for an entire minute.  It sounded ridiculous.  I laughed at myself because it sounded so ridiculous.  People who know me can't picture me using foul language because they haven't heard me swear.  It's not what I do.

     So, on my friends Facebook page, I commented that, "you wouldn't (see) Stevie Wonder do something distasteful and disrespectful".  My friend commented that the video was a spin off an SNL joke band.  I remember when Stevie Wonder was on SNL and did a skit with Eddie Murphy, I believe, that ended with Stevie driving a car.  That was hilarious while making light fun of himself.

     The second story that inspired this blog happened as I was waiting for the bus.  I was ear hustling a conversation between two gentlemen and a lady about having children.  One gentleman was telling a story about a child he fathered with "a friend" of his.  Basically, he had been friends with a lady for years when she asked him to be the father of her baby with no strings attached.  No marriage, no child support, and involvement in the childs life, optional.  He said, "if I didn't do it, she would have went to a sperm donor, so why not donate mine via premarital sex".  He was okay with it, she was okay with it and it happened.  After he told the story, he wondered, out loud, if there was anything morally or biblically wrong with this.

     Man, I tell you the times are a changing, and not for the better.  I probably wouldn't have commented on that conversation had the gentleman not have been so non-chalant about the whole thing.  Like bringing a child into this world is as simple as going to the pound and picking up a puppy.
It's things like this that make me glad to have a moral compass.  Now don't let me go off sounding like I'm "Mr. Perfect" because I'm not.  I'll tell you from my personal experience that almost every relationship I've had, with premarital sex, has ended on not so favorable terms.  There's a reason why God commands us to have sexual purity and it's not because He's trying to punish us.  It's so we can avoid the misery and sorrow that accompanies sexual immorality.  It's that simple.  I don't need to point out, to any intelligent person, the pluses and minuses of sex before marriage.  Again, I am not perfect in this area.  As a matter of fact, both of my marriages involved premarital sex.  Something my failed relationships shared was premarital sex.  That speaks volumes.  It became obvious to me that when I lived my life the way I wanted to, in my flesh, and not according to Scripture, my life had a lot more downs than ups!

     So, I'm not going to preach to you.  Following Jesus Christ is working for me and I'm a person who needed a lot of work.  I can admit my faults and weaknesses and actually address them in the only way I can see as beneficial to my soul and spirit, that's through Jesus Christ!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment