Me and My Boys

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What do you stand for?

     I heard a saying a long time ago that was, "if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything!".  This came to mind because we all have choices to make every single day.  Most days the choices are simple and minor like "what am I going to wear today?", or "should I stop by Krispy Kreme or should I stick with my diet?"  Other days you may have harder choices to make like "should I pursue this person even though I'm married?", or "should I take this money even though it's not mine and it's illegal?".  Those are just examples but everyday we all have choices and decisions that will forever shape and affect us.

     I believe everyone has the ability to discern right from wrong.  That being said, you can choose to do what is right.  Integrity is crucial to living a positive and good life and it's not just by what you say but also by your actions.  You should know that you can say one thing but your actions can say something totally different.  I was in a class yesterday and a gentleman was giving praise after which he followed that up by talking about all of the fornication he was involved in and how much he loved having sex with multiple partners.  This same man also said he would be there for anyone who needed any kind of help with anything.  I thought to myself that, though his help may be appreciated, I can't imagine allowing this man in my home around my wife and my children.  He already announced that he has no problem making poor decisions and has displayed no integrity.  He is quick to give praise to The Lord but his actions display disrespect for The Father and His Word.  Now let me point out that I am no one to judge anyone because that is not my job to do.  However, as a Christian I am supposed to discern right from wrong and apply it accordingly to all persons and situations in my life.  When I come across people, places, things and or situations that don't coincide with The Word, Christian ethics, or would compromise my integrity then I must make choices.  Like every man and woman ever created, I am not perfect.  I have made poor choices.  It is very likely I will make more.  However, I don't rejoice when I do make a bad choice.  I also don't brush it off or try to forget it or justify it.  When I make a poor choice my spirit immediately feels sorrow.  I ask for forgiveness and I repent, meaning I intentionally plan not to make that bad decision again.  I look to The Lord for guidance in everything I do because without Him I'm prone to following my flesh, my sinful nature and doing things contrary to The Word.  I can't afford to make even the smallest mistake when it comes to doing what's right or wrong because doing wrong, even if it's minor, gives an opening to Satan to steal, kill and destroy me.

     It's a battle everyday.  I still have work to do.  I'm currently trying to ween myself off of gangster rap.  I love the music but the lyrics don't coincide with what I believe.  It may sound like a minor issue to you however I realize that as long as I listen to people speaking death then I open myself up to death instead of Life.  Father forgive me.

    What do you stand for?  Are there ways you can make better choices in your life?  What do you want, Life or death?

No comments:

Post a Comment