Me and My Boys

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Foot In Mouth Disease, No One Is Immune!


I was hoping and praying that when I reach an age of maturity I would be immune to making poor decisions but as far as I can tell, even age isn't a buffer against ignorance.  Case in point is 77 year-old Don Harris, who is the current leader of the Phoenix chapter of the N.A.A.C.P, also known as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.  This guy went on record to speak about an incident involving six teenage girls use of "nigger" at a school function.  Sometime during his conference, he turned to a female reporter and said, "nice tits!"

Now, I know this is shocking, considering this is a senior citizen, former attorney and well respected in the community, but honestly I was more shocked when I looked at the article and discovered that Don Harris is, wait for it...Caucasian.  Yes, I said it.  He's an elder white man.  Am I missing something here?  Is there a shortage of Negroes and Hispanics in Arizona, that it was necessary for a white man to lead a historically minority based organization?  I digress.

Anyways, even at the ripe old age of 77, people are still putting their feet in their mouth.  This doesn't give me any hope of reaching a "magical age" where I don't have to worry about what I say or do.  I thought as a senior citizen I would have earned the right to say whatever I wanted to, but that obviously isn't the case.  Obviously, no one is immune, BUT, this is a totally preventable disease.  One just has to think before they speak!  Sounds so simple.


1 comment: