Me and My Boys

Monday, July 4, 2011

I’ve got to love unconditionally, for my well being!

     
Me and my mama
     There’s no other way I can operate “happily” in this lifetime if it’s not under unconditional love.  I can’t achieve peace and well being if I’m not walking in unconditional love for others.  This concept seems radical, with a touch of impossibility added to it but it is achievable.

     Let me cut to the chase and tell you all how I arrived to this conclusion.  I’ve been through some very trying times with my wife.  Let’s see, we’ve been homeless, both of us have been adulterers, I was addicted to drugs for many years before I met her and well through our marriage, she’s been violent and she has some mental health issues that contribute to her compulsive lying.  The details to some of these events are so devastating that any rational person would have pursued a divorce.  As a matter of fact, at one point my wife filed the papers but didn’t follow through.  We’ve got some major issues to deal with in our relationship including my addiction and trust on both of our parts.  I will tell you that it has not been an easy road.  There have been times when I just wanted to walk away from her.  I wanted to give up.  That’s not going to happen though.  I’ve found a way to overcome adversity, and yes, it’s through Jesus Christ.

     There is no other way I could have ever forgiven her for having an affair with someone that is really close to me.  It’s not humanly possible to forgive her for the things she’s said that were insulting and demeaning about my family, our children, and me.  Most men would not have tolerated all of the physical abuse I took from her.  This is what separates me from most men.  I love Jesus Christ and I trust Him and His Word.  When I wanted to do things my way, He showed me how I should handle “all” the situations in front of me.  How did He do it?  Through His Word.  How did He get it across to me? In a whole bunch of creative and unexpected ways.  For example, after I got out of jail for an extended period of time, my wife lays the bombshell on me that she slept with someone close to me.  I was devastated.  I was angry.  I was pissed.  I was hurt.  I didn’t want to have anything to do with her anymore.  I was tired of her act and at the cost of my family, I was ready to call it quits.  Then, a couple of days after she told me that, I was reading some “random” Scriptures when I came across 1 Peter 4:12 which put in perspective the things I was going through.  Then, the same day, I was watching Creflo Dollar I believe, and he was talking about relationships and the things we go through.  For the rest of the day I prayed, and meditated on The Word and I that’s when I found peace.  I was able to forgive her but more importantly I was able to move forward, in love, in my life.  That’s huge.  I could not have done any of that in my own power.  No one can.

     
     So, fast-forward to yesterday.  I had to deal with an unpleasant, disrespectful situation with my oldest son.  It wasn’t that big of a deal but it was disrespectful and he and I are not on the best of terms anyways.  The situation bothered me for the better part of the day until I had a revelation concerning unconditional love.  Unconditional love doesn’t just apply to a “specific” situation.  It applies to everything.  You can’t say you have unconditional love for one person and then get angry and hate another person.  If you are truly walking in love, you are able to love everyone, including your enemies.  That’s unconditional love.  The ability to love those when the situation isn’t pretty.  I love my son and I pray we can become closer.  I will never turn my back on him as our Father will never turn His back on us.

     Ultimately, because of my ability to love unconditionally, I’ve been able to overcome serious adversity.  I couldn’t do any of that in my natural state.  I have to rely on God for His Grace that I may be able to extend that to others.  In the end, I am the one who truly benefits from unconditional love!

No comments:

Post a Comment