Me and My Boys

Friday, February 26, 2016

Flag Waver I'm Not!

I was recently at an event where everyone in the room stood up and began to "Pledge Allegiance To The Flag Of The united states Of america."  While they stood up, I stayed seated and continued writing on my laptop.  Later, when discussing this with my children, my son asked me why I didn't stand and recite the pledge.  This is what I told him.

First and foremost, I don't support or subscribe to the machinations of american society or it's beliefs.  I cannot consciously pledge allegiance to a country that is actively, and has been for centuries, trying to exterminate my race.  I went on to elaborate about the consistent police brutality that is rampant in america including the recent deaths of 12 year old Tamir Rice who was executed by police who said he was threatening their lives with an air-soft gun, and the jail lynching of Sandra Bland who was an active civil rights activist, the murder of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman who was later found innocent and applauded by many americans for "Standing His Ground!"  The list of names of Black Americans killed over the last five years is extensive.  A statistic I happened upon states:  "Despite making up only 2% of the total US population, African American males between the ages of 15 and 34 comprised more than 15% of all deaths logged this year(2015) by an ongoing investigation into the use of deadly force by police. Their rate of police-involved deaths was five times higher than for white men of the same age."  

Next, I told my son about some of the horrific things american soldiers do in other countries, including rape, murder and theft of innocent civilians.  Many americans want to turn a blind eye to these things and act like they aren't happening or simply don't care, but that is not me.  I am appalled and ashamed of what these soldiers and our government do in the name of Democracy and "the american way!"  Death, hate, deception, perversion, and immorality I do not subscribe to.

I continued my discussion with my son by telling him how the KKK has infiltrated and infused itself in many levels of american society, including lawmakers, politicians, judges, police and everyday businessmen.  They perpetuate an undercurrent of hate and fear of Blacks and minorities and would undermine the very foundation of the u.s. if allowed to stay on the current course.

These are just a few of the very serious reasons why I don't "Pledge Allegiance," and I told my children that when they are able to understand broader concepts of society and life, they can choose to do what they want to!

3 comments:

  1. larry@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful blog post and yet so tragic because it is all so absolutely true. I actually gave a speech that I turned into an article I posted on my own blog (if you so wish, you can read it here: http://stephaniekr-equals-opionarticle.blogspot.com/) It focuses in part with how we (the white people) discriminate against all others whom are not white, and prove it with such disgusting violence, at (horrifically) best. However all races are actually just part of the human race, thus we should not be divided. And as for the military: I actually have no words because what they do disgusts me too, and then they turn and claim they're doing it for america's freedom. Needless to say that just like you I don't pledge my allegiance to America either. Not until it can get it's act together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy because I went to your link and it got pulled down. I wanted to share it.

      Delete