Me and My Boys

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Perspective

     Black history month is nearly over and as it passes I am inspired to share some observations I have made over the last few weeks.

     I was watching the movie The Freedom riders in my cultural diversity class and was reminded about why black people as a whole are so resilient.  Seeing them face extreme adversity, up to death, gives me strength and courage in the knowledge that I possess the same fortitude that they have.

Me and NBA Star Grant Hill
     I don't believe people who are not black understand the bond we share as blacks, through the pain and suffering of generations before us and through the thinly veiled hate that is still prevalent today.  I am often amazed by the comments of non-blacks about blacks.  I've had non-blacks basically tell me that I don't know my own people and that I am mistaken about interpretations of other black peoples actions.  That's absurd and presumptuous.  Let me put it this way, if I was speaking to a person of another race, let's say native, and that person was telling me about a situation he had been through with another native and how he perceived their interaction, it would be presumptuous of me to offer an uninformed opinion concerning them.  I don't know what natives have been through, I don't know how they think, and to assume that they think like me is ridiculous.  We, as people, have very different histories, though there are some similarities but not enough that I can assume I know what they are thinking or what they've been through.  This same logic applies to all races, so when I hear someone who is not black telling me what another black man means by their words and actions, I am left stupefied.  This has happened recently, and on several different occasions, and the non-black people that are voicing their opinions are genuinely secure in their position that they know what they are talking about.  I find this really disturbing and disrespectful.  If another person of a different race was to tell me something about their race, my first reaction wouldn't be to question their knowledge or sincerity and I wouldn't attempt to correct them with an opinion based upon my own experiences which have no bearing on what they are talking about.  There is a lot to be gained by listening to what someone is saying and not interjecting an opinion that is based on an outside experience.

     I believe the root of this issue is self-centered thinking.  If people actually took the time to listen to what another person is saying instead of waiting for that person to stop speaking so they can interject their opinion, people might actually learn something significant about the person they are talking to.  Unfortunately, I come across a lot of people who know a lot about nothing and know nothing about a lot of things.  I usually shake my head and walk away from the conversation thanking God he has given me the ability to listen and show an actual interest in my brothers and sisters without acting like I know everything.  The lesson today:  Really think before you speak.  If you take a second to think about your words, you may be able to contribute to a productive conversation!

1 comment:

  1. AS a young white woman I never had to deal with racism, but as for my father who is also white he did have to deal with this kind of stuff when he was in the type of work that he did before he retired.

    ReplyDelete