Me and My Boys

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Holy Spirit-person sent by God or the power of God

     I recently saw a discussion on FaceBook that asked the question, "How do you know you have the HolyGhost?"  What I found interesting about this conversation was the division in answers from numerous people.  Some said the Holy Spirit is present when you speak in tongues.  Others said the Holy Spirit is present with the manifestation of power.  Still others said the Holy Spirit is present at all times, while others said the Holy Spirit can be summoned by ones actions.  One thing is certain, people perceive everything in their own way.

     For what it's worth, I will put my two-cents in.  First, I will be cautious and admit that I do not possess the level of intelligence that will allow me to tell you the meaning of God's plans and actions.  There are a lot of people who would do good by understanding they also do not possess that kind of intelligence, but unfortunately they are hindered by ignorance, hence the reason why you hear so many ludicrous and idiotic teachings by people who don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

     Anyways, I believe the Holy Spirit is sent by God to help His children live the abundant life that was given to them through the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.  I also believe the Holy Spirit is always present.  It's our ability to receive the Holy Spirit that is not always there.  For example, when I am close to my Father, through continual praise, worship, prayer and study of His Word, I can feel and witness the Holy Spirit moving.  However, when I am gratifying my flesh, living according to what my flesh wants, whether it be illicit sex, drug use, or gluttonous behavior, I cannot sense the presence of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit hasn't left me in those times, I just can't sense Him because I am self-involved which blinds me to everything except what is pleasing to my flesh.

     I want to exercise caution and care with my words because I don't want to contribute to the division of Christians by Christians.  The body of Christ is often at odds with itself because people would rather share their opinions and interpretations of The Word instead of seeking God to work through them to share The Word with others.  I have a great deal to learn but the Good News is, I have the Greatest teacher of ALL TIME!

3 comments: