Me and My Boys

Monday, March 19, 2012

What Man In His RIGHT Mind Believes This Is A Man's World?


     One of my college instructors expressed her opinion that this is “a man’s world” and that we still operate by male dominated standards.  My first reaction was to challenge what she was saying but after pondering her words I thought I should at least give some consideration to her opinion before blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.

Considered the "Who's Who" of powerful men clubs
     I guess I will start by getting the obvious out of the way by pointing out that she and I are on opposite ends of this spectrum if only because we are woman and man respectively.  I will attempt to express my opinion without using that reason as my sole argument.  First, my instructor’s statement included “exclusive men’s club” as part of her description of a man’s world.  I can agree with that, to a degree, in the fact that I believe that a relatively small group of men make decisions that affect or control the global economy.  However, that group which may be exclusively male is not all-inclusive, meaning not every male is invited to participate in this exclusive club.  My logic is, if it doesn’t include all males then “a man’s world” theory doesn’t apply.  My “world” isn’t determined by the decisions of men I don’t know nor would I allow them to have authority over me, that would be absurd.

     I've heard and been told many times, as a black man, that I can not blame my circumstances on the inequalities of life.  I can’t blame the white man for having to live in the ghetto, being on welfare, unemployed, drug dealing/addicted, being incarcerated or being a victim of violent crime at a higher rate than all other races combined.  It’s been ingrained in my psyche that this is America and if you want to succeed, you have to work for it and you can achieve it.  I believe this rhetoric but I will add “some have to work many times harder than others in order to achieve the same level of success!”  This truth can be applied to ALL people.

     So, I cannot fully agree with my instructor’s opinion, though I do understand where she is coming from.  A smart man knows the value of women and would never elevate himself above a woman.  A smart man will show he can lead and be led, that his success and general happiness is dependant upon his mutual respect for women, and if they aren’t enjoying equality then neither is he!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, Gary. You are a seeker of truth, there is no doubt about that. I do agree that every man and woman does have opportunity and it is up to this individual to follow his or her dream. Would you agree, however, that some people, because of gender or race, might have to climb that higher hill because of prejudgements made (those of the "smog of racism") about their race and/or gender? I think in some situations, some of us must try a little harder. . .mam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that some have to "climb that higher hill" and I said as much when I said, “some have to work many times harder than others in order to achieve the same level of success!” I am fully aware and believe there is a "glass ceiling" when it comes to women's equality but I don't believe they are the only group of people facing adversity. A white woman today still fairs better than any black man or any other minority male when it comes to opportunity and advancement. I believe the only reason Hillary Clinton didn't receive the Democratic nod was because her election wouldn't have brought forth a viable scapegoat as much as Barack's election would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glass ceiling does apply to other groups. Women are not the only people who have to "try harder." Unfortunately, Mrs. Clinton would not have had a chance. She would have been blocked at every turn. Even more that Obama. I think until we make the playing field somewhat even, we are going to have many people hitting their heads. MAM

    ReplyDelete