Me and My Boys

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Inclusive Words Are Dangerous!

From the desk of Gary Mason
     I love intelligent, thought-provoking, conversations.  I also like the art of debate.  I believe a good debater can effectively argue from all sides of a topic.  This being said, today I was involved in a conversation where a gentleman was giving his perspective on Christians and the Church.  In his dialogue he stated that ALL people in church have an ulterior motive or use deception at some point.  Instantly, I pointed out that he was generalizing which weakened his argument and rendered it ineffective.

     I actually felt bad for this gentleman and I was hoping he would change his approach in order to win this imaginary contest but he chose to continue his argument even adding that he grew up in a church family and had served many years in the church, as if this were going to validate his position.

     It is a mistake to speak in general terms about specific issues.  There is no possible way that you can account for every person, situation, or issue other than using generalities, and if you choose to use generalities you can not stand on facts because facts are based on specific information or results.

     I believe using inclusive words like "all, us, we, them" is dangerous.  Sometimes when my wife has made a mistake she likes to say what "we" need to do next time.  I tell her that "we" implies "I" had something to do with "her" choices and then I remind her that "I" didn't have anything to do with what "she" did.

     Anyways, if anyone is up for some good conversation, I am always up for the challenge.  Just know that I am very good at listening and I will find the hole in your game and fill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment