Me and My Boys

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Age Ain't Nuthin' But A Number!

     I was inspired to write this post from an article I saw on FaceBook concerning people who've reached success at a late age in life.  At age 42 I've come to realize that age isn't a barrier to achieving goals.  As a matter of fact, the older you are, the more life experience you gain and can utilize to your benefit.

     Case and point, I have a friend named Mrs. Betty who is a mature woman.  I won't tell her age because I am a gentleman, however I will tell you she is over 70.  She's such a character, she would proudly tell you her age as a badge of honor.  Anyways, she's been in college for over the last year and she is incredible.  She has near perfect attendance and a 3.90 GPA, that's awesome.

     I tell you all of this because I too am in college and everyday I see some of the poorest work ethic and hear some of the lamest excuses from people who are in their late teens, early twenties and thirties and are consistently late or absent and turn their work in late or not at all.  It's pathetic.  I have a class from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Monday thru Thursday.  There are a couple of people in that class that show up at 8:30, 8:40 everyday.  Really?  Why even bother to come if you're that late.  I hear so many excuses for tardiness and absence it's ridiculous.  Some of these people are consistently sick and if that's the issue then they should really see a doctor because when you're that young, you should have vitality.

      A lot of the problem is, they are just plain out LAZY!  Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it is what it is.  A lot of people believe they are entitled to things without working for them or by putting in minimal effort for maximum gain.  Life doesn't work that way.  You get out what you put in and a lot of people can't figure out why they are unhappy and miserable.  It's because they don't take responsibility for their own prosperity and they look to the things of this world as a measurement of what success is.  Then they expect someone else to hand it to them.  Oh, did I mention they are also self-centered and selfish?   I digress.

     My friend Mrs. Betty serves as inspiration to me because she never complains, she has excellent work ethic and she can get us the senior citizen discount when we go out for lunch.  She's over 70 and runs circles around people half her age and younger!

1 comment:

  1. My husband and also Mrs. Betty are both very hard workers at there school work. Mrs. Betty has called upon my husband twice to help her with two school projects that she has had to do and both times my husband has helped her do them. When my husband gets done helping her do them he always says that he has just learned something new that he learned to do in his schooling. As far as people having excuses for being late I just don't understand it here my husband doesn't live close to where he goes to school at and he has to catch 2 buses and the light rail to get to school and he always makes it to school an hour before his first class even starts and he hardly ever misses any days of school at all and when he does miss a day of school he is still working on something that has to do with his school work and that is so inspiring to me it is also inspiring to me that Mrs. Betty is over 70 and she is attending college to that is just awesome to me.

    ReplyDelete